Grilled Steak Salad with Tomatoes & Eggplant
Toasted oregano lends an aromatic note to this satisfying salad, which features grilled flank steak, peppers and eggplant as well as tangy tomatoes and a simple red-wine vinegar dressing.
Total cook time
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano,
- 1 pound flank steak, , trimmed
- 1 teaspoon salt, , divided
- ¾ teaspoon freshly ground pepper, , divided
- 2 sweet Italian peppers or 1 large bell pepper, , cut into 2-inch-wide strips
- 1 small eggplant, (about 1 pound), cut lengthwise into 1/2-inch-thick slices
- 4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil, , divided
- 2 large tomatoes, , cut into wedges
- 1 small red onion, , thinly sliced
- 1 small clove garlic, , minced
- 3 tablespoons red-wine vinegar,
Preheat grill to high.
Cook oregano in a small skillet over medium heat, stirring, until toasted, about 2 minutes. Transfer to a bowl.
Cut steak in half lengthwise; season with 1/2 teaspoon each salt and pepper. Brush peppers and eggplant with 1 tablespoon oil.
Oil the grill rack. Grill the meat, turning once, about 10 minutes total for medium. Grill the peppers, turning once, until softened and charred in spots (about 10 minutes) and the eggplant until browned and slightly soft (about 8 minutes).
Add tomatoes, onion and garlic to the bowl with the oregano. Drizzle with vinegar and the remaining 3 tablespoons oil. Season with the remaining 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper; toss to combine. Chop the eggplant and peppers and cut the steak across the grain into thin slices; add to the bowl and toss to combine.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.