Creamy Butternut Squash Pasta
Indulge in the comforting flavors of the season with this Creamy Butternut Squash recipe. Made with our exclusive Signature RESERVE™ pasta, seasonal squash and flavorful herbs, this dish is perfect to enjoy as the main entrée during holiday season weeknights.
Total cook time
- 4 cups butternut squash, cut into 1/2-inch dice
- 4 tablespoons Signature RESERVE™ extra virgin olive oil, divided
- 1/2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon ground black pepper, divided
- 16 ounces Signature RESERVE™ penne pasta
- 2 cloves garlic, grated
- 1/2 cup Lucerne® heavy whipping cream
- 2 cups fontina cheese, grated
- 1/2 cup Primo Taglio® Parmigiano-Reggiano cheese, shaved
- 1/2 cup pine nuts
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped mint leaves
- 1/4 cup roughly chopped Italian parsley
Preheat oven to 450°. Place squash on a rimmed baking sheet and drizzle with 2 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil. Toss to coat with oil and spread squash in an even single layer. Season with 1/2 teaspoon salt and 1/4 teaspoon pepper. Roast in oven for 25 minutes, or until caramelized and fork-tender.
Cook pasta according to package directions. Drain pasta, reserving 1 cup of the pasta water. Return pasta to stove-top over low heat. Stir to combine pasta with reserved pasta water, 1/4 teaspoon black pepper, garlic, whipping cream, and fontina cheese. Continue stirring until cheese is melted and pasta is evenly coated in the cheese sauce.
Place pasta in a serving dish and top with butternut squash, remaining pepper, and pine nuts. Drizzle with remaining 2 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil and top shaved parmesan. Garnish with fresh mint and parsley if desired. Serve.
Step 4 :: Helpful Hints
Use a vegetable peeler to easily shave slices from the side of the Parmigiano-Reggiano wedge.
Step 5 :: Helpful Hints
Provolone, gouda or gruyere cheese are all great substitutes for the fontina cheese in this recipe.
All recipe ingredients should be cooked to a safe internal temperature according to USDA guidelines. After preparing a recipe, please store any leftovers in the refrigerator.